Thursday, September 19, 2013

My citation struggle

Question:   Many students inadvertently plagiarize because they lack the skills they need to properly cite and reference sources.  In what ways can lessons on citations be tied to those on plagiarism?  How can you model and think aloud throughout the year to reinforce these skills?
I am facing the "citation struggle" now with my college students. Even though all of my students have been made to have pre-reqs of English classes, ethics classes, and computer literacy BEFORE they get to me, they still struggle with correct was to cite sources. I want to take the time to teach them the correct way, but there isn't room in my curriculum for this. I have given them resources, online help, PowerPoints to view on their own, but they still don't "get " the importance. I try to prepare them for technical writing and research papers that they will need to do for competitions as much as I can , but I think there is a breakdown far sooner than they get to me. I feel they don't get the knowledge they need prior to getting into a professional program. Most have be taught MLA formatting, which is ok, but APA is preferred in everything they do post high school. I am currently trying to come up with different small projects to get them acquainted with APA: I have them use the discussion board to post opinions but also site one source. Ethics is also a portion of my curriculum that I can incorporate plagiarism into, and in fact it is part of their student handbook that if they get caught plagiarizing they may be subject to expulsion. Drastic I know, but it makes them understand the importance of the matter!!
I can't wait to see what you others use for this one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment