Thursday, February 6, 2014

Social Networking

Social networks.. Where do I begin!? I grew up in a time of no computer or Internet. When we wanted to network with each other we wrote a letter and passed in through class hoping the teacher wouldn't see it and hope the wrong person didn't read it . I was afraid on "networking" when Facebook started , thinking I don't want people seeing everything I do and why would they? I can say now, I don't know what I would do without Facebook or technology for that matter. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about technology, teaching myself most everything I now through trial and error. Not until I started the MET program did I realize how much I was still missing out on, and not until this class did I know how much I didn't know about social networking. I have belonged to google+, Facebook, twitter, Pinterest for a while, but never did I even think about using them for education. I had no idea what I was missing! I had never heard the term "Ning" until reading chapter 5 in our text...wow. I love them. I joined two different nings yeaterday and have already found more information than ever. I have a difficult time finding social venues for my specific program, radiology. Everything I seem to find is clinical or hospital based, not educator based, but I' m keeping my hopes up that there is something out there for us!! I joined Flipped Learning Network Ning and Edweb.net. I have already participated in a webinar on the flipped leaning network that was very beneficial! I am wanted to flip my cross-sectional anatomy class and don't know any educators in my area that have done this, so I was very excited to find this network. I also participated in my first Twitter chat lat night, I didn't think I would like it at first, figured I didn't have enough background to be an asset to the conversation, but I really enjoyed being able to network with strangers and not feel intimidated at all! It was actually fun! What!? An assignment that was fun! Don't anyone tell my students! I look forward to more networking now!

4 comments:

  1. Janet-
    After reading your post I noticed that we are similiar as far as technology goes. It's hard to think of a time when I didn't have Facebook. I went back and looked and I started my Facebook account in 2005, which seems like a lifetime ago. I too, have always considered myself to be technology savvy. However, I have also realized that I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. The amount of information that we have learned through this program is amazing! I haven't tried the Twitter chat just yet. I watched as one went on and it looked quiet overwhelming. I'm going to attempt one this Saturday! Which chat did you participate in? Wish me luck and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your post. I can completely understand where you are coming from with being so new to technology and having to teach yourself how to use such resources. I too have always thought I was pretty smart with technology and did a great job of utilizing it in my classroom until I started this MET program and learned that I am not even penetrating the surface of technology. The amount of information, tools, resources, and interactive media that technology allows is endless. We now have the opportunities to take our classroom where no teacher has ever before. I am glad that you are starting to feel comfortable with technology and feel as though you can properly utilize such resources in your daily life. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very apprehensive about joining a twitter chat too, but like everything else I jumped in and figured I'd make the best of it. And believe me, I am not very twitter savvy, but it was actually fun! There were two other girls from our class in the chat so I think that made it a little less intemidating! I joined in on #web20 chat and used tweetchat.com for the chat host, which made things super easy! If you haven't tried one yet, just go for it! I just have to find my next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy reading your blog posts! I just laughed when I read your comment....."What!? An assignment that was fun!" Ha! I love to hear that your enjoying this class and the assignments.

    ReplyDelete