Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Week 4- Implementing a Networked Classroom

In this weeks reading in PLNs I really like how the instructor Clarence Fisher expresses the thoughts when it comes to learning. His quote “Learning is only as powerful as the network it occurs in” really puts into perspective the power of quality instruction (Richardson & Mancabelli, 2011, p. 59). Not only is he referring to the teacher but the mode of teaching. We can incorporate as much technology into the classroom as we want, but if it isn’t quality, we are limiting ourselves and our students even more. I think this is one of the disadvantages of a networked classroom. If the teacher isn’t able to provide QUALITY , then what is the point. Being able to open doors and expose our students to the world, literally, around us is amazing to me. I grew up, as most, in a classroom with 4 walls and a chalkboard: no computer, no internet. We were limited to what the teacher knew and what the book said. Students now are limitless; they can travel in their desks and visit classroom halfway around the world. I also find it interesting that his students have less of a problem with discrimination, something we have a hard time getting away from in today’s society, yet his students seem to overlook race and class and are more focused on learning, reinforcing the “benefits of the networked classroom” (Richardson & Mancabelli, 2011).Each of the examples of networked classrooms show just how connected we can make ourselves. It’s amazing to me that this is happening, and it makes me even more excited to incorporate more into my own courses! I think using the guidelines described as reference it would be fairly easy for the determined , open-minded, and semi-fearless teacher (like all of us are!! ) to start implementing more networking. I myself feel I fit , somewhat, into this description. I have already started lesson plans on utilizing more networking, like Adobe Connect to have inner class networking, allowing some of my distance students the option to stay home for lecture. This being the first year for our program , my focus has been more on class development and success more so than new technologies. My goal, however is to provide more networking with clinical affiliations and programs, ultimately allowing my students to have a more diverse learning environment. All in good time though, all in good time. Bibliography Richardson, W., & Mancabelli, R. (2011). Personal Learning Networks: Using the Power of Connections to Transform Education. Bloomington : Solution Tree Press.

2 comments:

  1. After reading about Clarence Fisher and his classroom, I was in awe of his implementation of his networked classroom and his love of learning. I was so encouraged by just the snippet of his story I decided to follow him on Twitter @glassbeed and his blog . I understand when you talk about the disadvantages of a networked learning classroom. I believe that some are just assuming if they are using technology in their classes, they are fulfilling the technology aspect of implementation into the classroom. However, if it is not quality and all quantity, then the point is being missed. A networked learning class needs to be authentic and have a meaning not only to the students but the curriculum at hand. That is when real learning takes place and connections are made. The benefit is having a self-taught, well rounded learner to be successful for all future endeavors. As you mentioned about learning in a “brick and mortar” classroom, I thought about all the opportunities that I missed as a student and how I feel my learning was so limited. I’m just thrilled to know that I can learn with my students through a networked classroom and not feel cheated out my education as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your post. I really enjoyed your thoughts on incorporating a networked style classroom into your classroom teaching approach. I think the most powerful item that you discussed is when you noted, "We can incorporate as much technology into the classroom as we want, but if it isn’t quality, we are limiting ourselves and our students even more". I think this is so true of educators. We are often trying to incorporate new ideas and keep students motivated and intrigued with our lessons, but it is not about the resources and ideas that we bring, it is about the quality that we provide. There are so many teachers who want to have a more collaborative classroom but have no clue where to begin. This idea of quality is super important for all educators to understand and be informed about. If all teachers took the time to truly explore and research resources before utilizing them in the classroom they would be more successful with having quality lessons.

    ReplyDelete